All athletes including volleyball players have special nutrition needs that are similar in order to maximize their playing potential. But it's the length of the continuous activity that often dictates a slightly different diet or more attention to detail. Therefore, only endurance athletes will eat and/or supplement slightly differently from speed, strength or power athletes in order to finish strong. The goal of a volleyball player is to have their energy systems full before the event but little to no food in the stomach. This condition requires you to be hydrated, eat your pre-event meal ~2-3 hours before so that most food is converted to fuel (stomach almost empty) and your pre-event workout formula consumed 30 minutes before in order to "top off" your energy systems.
This protocol allows for stable blood sugar levels, a decrease in muscle breakdown, ability to mentally focus, finish the event strong and then recover quickly. Below is the proper timing of food and supplement intake elite athletes follow. Additionally, using the dotFIT program, you can design your ideal sports nutrition plan including perfect athletic menus individualized for you with proper protein requirements, meal timing and complete food plans with the correct mix of protein, fats and carbohydrates. Simply fill in your personal statistics, set your weight/performance goal and create your program. The program will automatically give you pre and post event eating plans including instructions.
Training meals and supplement timing instructions:
• Pre-training/event full food meal consumed ~2-3 hours before your major activity
– If your activity is first thing in the morning with no time for complete digestion of a full meal, use pre-workout formula only but eat your pre-game meal before bedtime
• Pre-workout shake/bar: consume 10-40 min before activity
• Post- workout shake/bar (same formula as the pre): immediately after workout
• Post-training/event full food meal consumed ~1-2HRS post training
dotFIT Pre/Post Meal Replacement & Workout Formula
• Take 2 scoops 10-40 minutes before workout or use favorite dotFIT® bar for convenience
• Take 2 scoops (or dotFIT bar) immediately post workout